Sunday, May 31, 2009

Life is Like a Beach Chair When I'm in A New York State of Mind

Now this is definitely not going to be a debate about naS or Jay-Z, Jigga or Nasty Nas, Nasir Jones or Shawn Carter, J-Hova the God or God's Son, Mr. Super Ugly or Mr.Hawaiian Sophie fame, Esco or Hovi, the king of Rocafella or Nastradaumas, Street's Disciple or Jiggaman. Nor will this combine their relations being all about "the dead presidents (except Obama of course =], by the way I usually would make a smilie face like this :), but since I'm doing this in parentheses I find this helpful :]. Now I'm sure other people have done this, but I always think of my friend C.A.B.{- initials that's how I will refer to people who I haven't gotten consent from for "publication" lol} because I know she always does smilie faces this way) that represent me" to becoming "the black republicans", but instead this will be just about the philosophies of the song... just what I think it all means...

Okay so not only do these represent about as different as the facets of life as possible, but even the style is different. You have the gritty uncut sound of "Illmatic" versus the polished crossover sounds of "Kingdom Come". This naS paints the picture of life as it is, while Jay's reality is our fantasy of life as it should be.

now this may seem scattered but that was written like a week ago, but applying for jobs kind of crushed my focus...so yeah. anyway back to finish this joint.

Real talk, this may be kind of disappointing but i just see that N.Y. State of mind that classic "hustle". When I was growing up I wasn't po' but I wanted nothing more than to "make money". Don't get me wrong I'm still about it, ask anyone who remember seeing me getting Jay-Z / T.I. tickets. lol. The difference now is I'm not single- minded in the C.R.E.A.M. mentality. <<>>

1. C.R.E.A.M.

The acronym standing for, "Cash Rules Everything Around Me."
Originating from the Wu Tang Clan, this phrase was popular in the early/mid-ninties when the hit song was released. Unlike many current rap songs, this song stressed the importance of obtaining money, as opposed to spending it. It also showed youth that selling drugs was not a good way to make money, and that hard work and creativity would make more money.
"cash rules everything around me cream get the money, dolla dolla bills yall."


I am still about getting paid, but I also understand that currency has as much value as you give to it. I think I gave so much value to it in the past, that I wouldn't spend it...Now I've diminished it's value, and I'm comfortable spending it. I think this thin line get blurred alot with that N.Y. State of Mind. Especially when considering the "what-ifs" of live. For some, its medical bills, or a car accident, for others its that stick-up or those drug users... But the more that those latter two events become less considered... is the more that one leaves the N.Y. State of Mind and goes onto the Life is Like A Beach Chair. Foreal, this is the "after". The "Mama I Made It" lifestyle. This is when you are beyond what you thought you'd do. Not necessarily entertainer or athlete money, but this could be you with a house worth three- quarters million, a jag and benz in the garage and not living pay- check to pay-check. I think personally... to sum it up, your life should follow the time-line of N.Y. State of Mind-> Life is Like A Beach Chair

DONE

3 comments:

  1. You're absolutely right on the C.R.E.A.M. tip, Hill Harper says the same things about spending vs obtaining...yes I have become brainwashed by Hill Harper, but I blame the company I keep.

    =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Google him! Lol he's a very successful, influential and inspiring writer/actor/entrepreneur, who keeps it real. Ever heard of the book Letters to a Young Brother? He's amazing.

    ReplyDelete